Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Five Guys....and 4 embies

Yes...you read that right. I have 4 embies on board!

There is a method to the madness. I'll explain.....

Dr. D & I had discussed being a bit more aggressive this time around. I am 39 and I have had 5 unsuccessful attempts at this. We know my body can get pregnant...it's happened 3 times. It just doesn't last. We are trying to increase the odds. At 39, it is highly unlikely that all 4 will implant, especially given my history. It is not even very likely that we will have twins.

The RE and Embryologist chose the 4 best embies. We put back an 8 cell, a 7 cell and two 5 cells. The RE told me that both 5 cells looked really nice and they couldn't decide between the two.

I am happy to report that all 8 were still alive at transfer time. That has never happened to me before. The remaining 4 are being watched to see if we can freeze them. I have never had any frosties so that would be a 1st too! The RE said that everything went perfectly and I had a beautiful transfer. H and I are so hopeful.

I'm so thankful for the way this cycle has played out so far. No major drama, my body is performing like a trooper and my embies look really good.

But... I'm not naive enough to think that we are in the clear. I've certainly seen strange things happen in my IF career: women with perfect looking embies and utes who don't get a BFP, women who have 1 embie left on transfer day who do get pregnant, even women with really poor quality embies who get pregnant. As much as we would like to think science is in charge here, it's in God's hands now. (Or the universe or whatever you believe in.)

Right now all we can do it wait and pray and cross our fingers and stay positive. And eat Five Guys burgers when we crave them or don't feel like cooking...(What? I didn't have fries and I made brussels sprouts on the side!)

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts