Sunday, January 31, 2010

Shout out to Conan O'Brien

I just have to say that I love what he said at the end of his very last episode of The Tonight Show. I'll quote him for those of you who did not stay up past your bedtime to tune in like I did. Here's a link to the actual speech if you want to follow along:Link removed.

After thanking his fans,etc. He said: "All I ask is one thing. And I'm asking this in particular of young people that watch. Please do not be cynical. I hate cynicism. For the record, it's my least favorite quality. It doesn't lead anywhere."

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you. It's just true."

I have been thinking about this quote for a week now. It's a pretty general statement and it can be applied to lots of situations. I am choosing to apply it to my life and my IF struggles. It's so easy to let the cynicism creep in when things don't go your way. After 4 IVFs and no baby, you might be able to imagine that we have taken cynicism to new heights. I actually roll my eyes or smirk whenever I hear a pregnancy announcement or whenever I hear a pg woman complaining about her pregnancy. A part of me doesn't even believe I will be a mother. I mean c'mon...I have done 4 IVFs and none of them have worked! I could stand to lose some of the cynicism....It is probably one of my least favorite things about myself, Conan.

***Ginger's tip***: Ladies, if you have a friend who is desperately trying to get pregnant, she does NOT want to hear about your morning sickness or your insomnia or that you feel fat or even that you can't see your feet. Try to be gentle and realize that she would give her right arm or at least her very favorite Coach bag to be fat or sick or to forget what her feet look like if she could have her own baby.

It is true that nobody gets exactly what they want in life. H & I have a great life together and I try not to focus on what we don't have (baby) but it's hard. I have to come to a point where I know we will be ok because we have each other. It's not how we planned it but most of our life did not work out like either of us planned. Some things turned out better. This just happens to be our worse. I am hoping that all the hard work we are doing (he stopped drinking, I have restricted my diet & started listening to relaxation tapes among other things.) will pay off. Not to mention the fact that IVF itself is work! At times it feels like a full time job. You have to keep track of all the appointments, have constant phone contact with nurses, pay very close attention to meds instructions. It can most definitely be classified as work! Now if I could just work on being kinder....(to everyone, not just infertile people!)

So,yay to Conan for setting an example by handling your situation with such class. And Jay Leno, if you are out there...isn't it time to retire?

Thanks for reading!

p.s I apologize if you are a Leno fan !

1 comment:

  1. G,
    I came across your blog, and just finished reading your whole story. My heart goes out to you and your husband. I too have had many failed ivfs...though I do have one son (27mos) via the one that worked. In trying to conceive our second, we have undergone numerous ivfs and still...nada. This post was a great one, and I came across it at a much-needed time. I too am awaiting my surge and then will be cycling either Feb or March...and I *think* we might be at the same nyc clinic with the same dr (I too already did the nyu-satellite thing). Anyway. My story is in my own blog if you ever needed yet another partner-in-IF...
    Thank you for sharing your story.
    Best...
    C (i-v-effed.com)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts